Shortly after the birth of your baby, your doctor will likely recommend walking as a first exercise. Walking is perfect, because your pace can be as quick or slow as you wish and you may walk for as long as you feel comfortable. And my favorite: you can exercise when baby is with you! Here are my useful tips on walking outside with your baby.
I received an Ergobaby 180 Stroller to facilitate this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Please note that I use affiliate links in my posts. Clicking through and making a purchase helps me in a small financial way, thank you!
1. Put All Your Walking Essentials Together
When I’m ready to take my baby for a walk, I don’t want to make a dozen trips back inside the house to get what I need. I created a place in my garage that holds all of my walking essentials in one place. Think about the things that you use when you go for a walk and place them in one central spot for quick access.
- Walking shoes & socks
- Sunscreen (for you and for the baby)
- Music player & ear buds
- Water bottle
- Sweatshirt (for chilly days)
- Cooling Towel (for hot days – one for you & one for baby!)
- Baby care needs, including diaper/wipes and sipper cup and snacks for toddlers
2. Choosing the Right Stroller for Your Baby
My family is already a fan of the Ergobaby line. I have the Ergobaby Omni 360 baby carrier. I’ve called it my “must-have travel item for babies“! It’s come in so handy on vacation. But I also use it every day when I need to hold my toddler but also remain hands-free.
As soon as your doctor gives the okay, it’s usually fine to take your healthy newborn outside for a walk. At first you may choose to place your baby inside of the front carrier. But eventually you’ll probably want to graduate to a stroller. The Ergobaby 180 Stroller has so many great features, including a reversible handlebar that quickly adjusts for height. I like the simple recline with breathable mesh side panels so my daughter can comfortably nap on our walk. It’s a very simple-to-use stroller, with one-hand folding and easy-tap foot brakes. Having a stroller that’s equally easy to maneuver and also comfortable for your baby is ideal.
3. Where to Walk With Baby?
If you live in a neighborhood or city, hitting the sidewalk right outside your front door is great. On particularly hot days, I’ve taken my baby and stroller to the indoor mall for window shopping while walking. The Ergobaby 180 stroller has 4-wheel steering and easily moves from smooth sidewalks to rougher terrain. You can quickly adjust the wheel locks by pressing a button to adjust each wheel.
I personally love to walk in the park. Local parks often have looping walking paths that are perfect for walking with your baby. At just 20 lbs, the stroller is lightweight for travel and easily folds with one hand. It’s also car seat compatible (with the car seat adapter, sold separately). Grab your walking essentials, load the stroller into the car and head out to the park!
4. Best Time of Day to Walk With Baby
In the warmer summer months, early morning hours are ideal for walking with your baby. However I have a toddler, so my daily walk is intended to kick-start her nap time! I usually don’t start my walk until around 11 am. This means it can be warm outside and I need to take the proper precautions to prevent overheating.
I make sure that my daughter has her sipper cup filled with water and that I’ve applied sunscreen to her legs. The Ergobaby 180 stroller has an over sized sun canopy to protect her from too much exposure. The stroller also has roll-up panels that reveal full mesh sidewalls. This helps to keep air circulating and prevents the baby from overheating when she naps on our walk.
5. Benefits of Taking Baby for a Walk
- Fresh air, exercise and stimulation! I find that a daily walk helps me to work out my thoughts, improves my sleep at night and gets me moving (especially in those early months with a newborn, when you only feel like you’re sitting and nursing all day!)
- If Baby is overstimulated by the view or if you simply want to keep an eye on her while you walk, the Ergobaby 180 stroller has a quick response. The handlebar has an easy flip option so you can turn it to face either way in about three seconds!
- My daughter is just two-years old, so I like taking her for a walk in preparation for nap time. Sometimes I’ll walk to the store and pick up a few essentials. The under-stroller basket on the Ergobaby 180 stroller is extra large for holding plenty! Usually my goal is getting her to fall asleep so a long walk benefits us both.
6. Safety Concerns
- Don’t walk where you don’t feel comfortable. Choose walking areas away from vehicle traffic and that are well-lit.
- Consider walking in a group with other people.
- Use the brakes on the stroller every time, even if you stop on flat ground. You never know if Baby’s movements will cause the stroller to roll.
- Don’t put your wallet or phone where it can get grabbed. The Ergobaby 180 has a hidden storage pocket behind the seat where I place my valuables and then zip it closed.
My toddler and I really do like the ease and comfort of the Ergobaby 180 Stroller. We’ve already taken the stroller on a trip and appreciated the lightweight frame & ability to fold down small into the trunk. Click the link to purchase and you’ll receive a code for a free snack tray attachment with your stroller order (offered for a limited time).