Looking for a side-hustle? Do you think that because you don’t have a full time job that there aren’t ways of bringing in some income? There’s no need to lock yourself into just what you earn in a 9 to 5 salary either. There are hundreds of ways for you to make extra money on the side! These are 6 ways I make extra money for my family!
Make Extra Money
Ever since I was about 6 years old, I had plans & ideas on how to make extra money. I started designing birthday cards and selling them to my family. I sewed sachets filled with potpourri. I made bunny rabbit stuffed animals and convinced my manicurist aunt to sell them at her station. I gathered up unused items and sold them at my own make-shift garage sale. I was an entrepreneur from a very young age!
Even though I’m much older, nothing much has changed. I still work full time and continue to try little ways to make extra money. I teach tumbling at a local rec center and have been doing this for 18 years. I have my blog, of course and sometimes receive a compensation for a sponsored post. I sew clothing on my own Etsy shop and sell personalized appliqued tees for children. When I had a little more time, I used to enter more contests (especially ones with cash prizes). And I’m a Jamberry independent consultant, selling nail wraps. I like having the extra income or “fun money” to play with.
What do you want to make extra money for?
- Use the money to support your family.
- Pay off some debt.
- Keep it solely to pad your savings account.
- Save up and spend it on a fantastic dream vacation!
This post contains several of my affiliate links. If you click through or purchase through those links, you will be helping to support me in my small business (because that’s what this post is all about!) So, thanks in advance 🙂
Here are six ideas on how you can earn extra money in little ways that really add up!
1. Trash to Treasure
It’s laying around and you just don’t need it anymore. Consider selling your things online to someone who will treasure them (and pay you for them).
- Sell valuables on Ebay or vintage goods and excess craft supplies on Etsy.
- Large sized items can be sold on Craigslist or at a garage sale.
- I love thredUp to sell my gently worn or new clothes (and my kid’s outgrown clothing, as well). You can receive cash back for what’s accepted or use it as a credit on a future purchase. I’ve been selling and shopping thredUP for years and have always been happy with the process.
MONEY SAVING TIP: Clean up and clear it out. Go through drawers, cabinets & closets and see what you have and don’t use that you could sell for extra cash.
2. Teach What You Know
Do you have a skill that others would like to learn? Teach others how to do it and earn extra cash.
- You could go into a professional setting, like I do, teaching tumbling classes to children at a local rec center.
- set up a teaching lesson (like a specific craft, cooking lesson or DIY skill) at home with a group of people that you charge a flat rate.
- Put it out there (like via email to friends or a post on Facebook) and see how many people are interested.
- Could you tutor children? Are you a good teacher in a one-on-one setting? This might be something you could do for an hour a few times a week, guiding them in a specific subject or even musical instrument lessons.
MONEY SAVING TIP: Figure out any upfront costs you’ll be putting out and your expected earnings before setting the price and committing the time.
3. Sell Your Experience
What can you do or make that someone will pay your services for?
- Do you have an eye for photography? Put your portfolio online and set up your portrait fees. Try booking something fun, like “First Day of School” pictures.
- Can you sew? Put it out there to your friends and family sometime in the summer that you are available to make Halloween costumes.
- With Etsy, it’s so easy now to sell your handcrafted goods. Do you have a knack for paper crafting, sewing, soap or candle making? How about digital invites, jewelry making or pattern drafting? Start up your own shop, read up on the Etsy rules and start selling! Good photos make all the difference so figure out the look of your shop before you start, as that will really draw customers in. I’ve been selling appliqued tees on Etsy for years. My most popular design? Jack!
MONEY SAVING TIP: Make sure to calculate your time and expenses to figure out how much you can charge and make a decent profit.
4. Independent, but Part of a Team
It can be hard to sell yourself, especially on-line when it’s so easy for people to push “delete” or ignore posts or event requests. However if you can really get a niche of customers or can work out getting samples or at-home demonstrations, your enthusiasm will be hard for your guests to ignore. I know everyone says this, but I really love being a Jamberry Independent Consultant. There is a great camaraderie and support on my Team. Benefits with Jamberry are fantastic and I really believe in the product (that’s important when you’re trying to get others to purchase from you). Looking for commissions of 30%+ and amazing bonuses? Please consider joining my Jamberry team, I’m having a great time with it and I know you would too!
MONEY SAVING TIP: Find a direct sales product that you love and look into becoming a consultant.
5. Enter Contests
Yeah, no guarantee you’ll make money on this one but for a bit of time and patience, your efforts might pay off. Before I started blogging and writing more for other sites, I was a die-hard sweepstaker, entering up to 100 a day. It was time consuming (I was sometimes entering for about 2 hours or more a night) but the pay off was worth the efforts. One year, I won several trips and cash so it was quite worth it to me. I have a brief overview in this post, My Secrets on How to Enter Contests…and Win!
MONEY SAVING TIP: If the contest allows daily entries, make sure to get your entry in each and every day for the best odds.
6. Get Paid for Shopping Online
You’re already shopping, you might as well make some extra cash too, right? Ebates pays you what they call the “Big Fat Check” just for shopping through their site. They even offer specials and coupons through the site and they are applied when you click the link. Want to earn more money? You can refer others to the site (just like I’m doing here!) and when they sign up and shop, you earn a bonus. Easy as that (really, I’ve already earned over $120).
MONEY SAVING TIP: Install Ebates onto your computer and you’ll receive a pop up reminding you to activate their cash back rebate…couldn’t be easier!
What ways do you have of earning extra money on the side? Share with me in the comments!