https://momrewritten.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/turkey-rice-soup-2.jpg 667 1000 Julie Bigboy https://momrewritten.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Mom-Rewritten-Blog-Logo-300x169.png Julie Bigboy2014-12-01 07:30:582018-03-14 08:56:19Thanksgiving Leftovers Turkey and Rice Soup
Getting tired of those Thanksgiving leftovers? We have had leftovers for lunch and dinner for the last two days since Thanksgiving. If you’re getting bored with turkey sandwiches, you might have an inkling to mix things up. You can use up some of your turkey leftovers with this tasty and filling soup. I like to make it ahead and and freeze some for a future meal.
Please note that I use affiliate links in my posts. Clicking through and making a purchase helps me in a small financial way, thank you!
Ultra-Simple Turkey, Rice and Veggie Soup
I’ve always liked rice in my soup but I don’t like how the rice gets bloated and mushy after a day in the fridge. In this recipe, the rice is set aside and mixed together with the soup just before serving. This is a totally basic soup recipe that most kids will love (even picky eaters). We served our soup with sourdough rolls and lots of freshly cracked black pepper!
Use those Leftovers! Turkey and Rice Soup
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 small (1/2 cup) onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 ribs (1 cup) celery, sliced
- 2 to 3 medium (1 cup) carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 48 ounces (6 cups) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups chopped turkey (fat and bones removed)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice (I used brown rice)
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and carrots; continue cooking 3-5 minutes or until onions are softened.
- Add chicken broth, water and paprika.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, 7-9 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and carrots are tender.
- Stir in chicken and parsley.
- Cook 5-7 minutes or until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon cooked rice into a bowl.
- Ladle soup over the rice and stir to combine.