Celebrating your birthday at Disneyland is wonderful! Did you know there are some ways to make your special day even more magical! Disney has tons of perfect ways to celebrate your special day. You can spend a little or a lot. From freebies to all-out extravagances, these are my top 10 magical ways to celebrate your birthday at Disneyland.
This post contains affiliate links. Clicking through and purchasing through my link helps me in a small financial way, thank you!
Celebrating a Birthday at Disneyland!
My birthday and my brother’s birthday are almost exactly one month apart (plus two years) so when we were young my parents often took us to Disneyland to celebrate. Sometimes the actual trip would land on my birthday which I loved! I’ve taken my kids to Disneyland several times for their birthdays. Each time I requested the free birthday button and had a special table-service dinner to celebrate. There are many other ways to celebrate a birthday at Disney!
These are a few questions that many guests have about celebrating a birthday at Disney –
- Is it free to go to Disneyland on your birthday? – No. There was a promotion many years ago that allowed visitors free admission to Disneyland on their birthday but this isn’t offered anymore.
- Are there any birthday freebies at Disneyland? – Yes (keep reading about how to receive your complimentary birthday button). There are also some surprise perks that cast members often pass on to guests celebrating their birthday.
- What is the best Disneyland restaurant for a birthday? – Restaurants that offer character dining like Goofy’s Kitchen, Plaza Inn breakfast with Minnie and PCH Grill with Mickey & Friends are great for a kid’s birthday (the celebratory atmosphere is already built in!) For adults, consider going upscale with a meal and drinks at Carthay Circle, Steakhouse 55 or Napa Rose. Don’t forget to mention the birthday and you might receive some extra pixie dust!
Here are some of the many fantastic ways to celebrate a birthday at Disneyland (as if being at Disneyland isn’t wonderful enough!)
Free Ways to Celebrate
1. Personalized Birthday Button
You can pick one up at one of the Disneyland Resort hotels when you check in or at Guest Services inside the Park. It doesn’t have to be your exact birthday to receive or wear your button. Disney Cast Members won’t ask you for any identification. They’ll only ask for the birthday guest’s name so they can hand write it on the button!
One of the perks of wearing a button is that everyone will tell you “Happy Birthday!” throughout the day from Cast Members, ride operators, bathroom attendants, other guests, everyone! Another perk is that Cast Members will often choose guests who are wearing a birthday buttons. You may have the chance to join in a show, receive a shout out during the parade or even be presented with a special treat after a table-service dinner.
2. Mention the Birthday Everywhere!
I make sure that when Cast Members ask if we are celebrating anything that I mention the birthday. I don’t think I can recall making a dining reservation or a hotel reservation without them asking me that question so it always comes up. But if they don’t ask you, mention it anyway! We’ve been upgraded to a Park view room at the Disneyland Hotel (without the added charge) for mentioning that we were celebrating a birthday.
Several years ago, during the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ lunch on my son’s birthday, the performers acknowledged him by singing his name in their birthday song.
For a Little Extra Dough
3. Disneyland Celebration Cakes or a Mini Cake Surprise
A Celebration Cake can serve several people, will be personalized with your own message and delivered to one of the select table-service restaurants. A Mini Cake Surprise is sized for one and will be delivered to select table-service restaurants, Character Dining locations and through Disney Hotel Room Service. Guests can special order cakes within three days advance notice by calling (714) 781-DINE.
4. Disneyland Birthday Cake Hat
This is quite the confection and sure to get your birthday noticed…in case the birthday button pinned to your shirt doesn’t do the trick! I’ve seen this sold at The Mad Hatter shop in Fantasyland.
5. Eat with Disney Characters
Splurge for breakfast, lunch or dinner at one of the many character dining restaurants throughout the Parks or Resort Hotels.
- Storytellers Cafe at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa – Breakfast only, buffet-style. Meet Chip, Dale and other characters.
- Plaza Inn at Disneyland Park (park ticket required) – Breakfast only, buffet-style. Minnie & Friends -Breakfast in the Park. You’ll meet Minnie, of course and other favorites.
- Disney’s PCH Grill at the Paradise Pier Resort Hotel – Breakfast only, buffet-style. At Surf’s Up! Breakfast with Mickey and Friends, you’ll meet the famous mouse and the rest of the gang, often including Stitch.
- Goofy’s Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel – Breakfast or dinner, buffet-style. Goofy’s the host so you’ll see him as well as many other character favorites.
6. Shop Downtown Disney
Build-a-Bear Workshop is a fun place to make your own stuffed animal. Choose from a huge variety of styles and costumes. You can even create a birth certificate in the shop so the new furry friend could have the same birthday as the child. Parents can also book a party to take place inside the shop, complete with food & treats and of course, teddy bears!
If You Want to Go All-Out!
7. Gifts, Balloons, Candy and Flowers
Before your trip, place an order with Disney Floral & Gifts to be delivered to your room upon your arrival. Choose from an assortment of gift baskets with different Disney themes, including a Tinker Bell basket, one filled with Mickey-themed cooking devices and another with chocolate assortment…yum! You can even order an “In room celebration” and your Resort room will be decorated for a birthday party! An adult might love to be greeted by a bouquet of roses with a birthday card…Disney Floral & Gifts can supply it all.
I think this would be particularly special for a grandparent or aunt/uncle to send a gift to a child who is celebrating at Disneyland. The gift will be there waiting in their Resort room during their trip, letting the child know that their family was sending birthday wishes from afar.
Even if you can’t make it to the Park this year, but still wish you were there, Disney Floral & Gifts can ship special birthday packages to your home. There are some very fun choices for adults and kids alike.
8. With a Wave of a Wand…
For a complete birthday transformation book an appointment at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique inside Disneyland Park. There are several treatments available depending on how head-to-toe you want the make-over to be! There is even a special Knight Package for young gentlemen. Guests 12 and under are allowed to wear costumes inside the park, so feel free to bring your own from home. Check out my tips on dressing up kids for Disney (with lots of unique and creative outfit ideas).
9. Indulge Your Senses
Adult birthday celebrants would appreciate a relaxing time spent at Mandara Spa inside Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa. Get a facial, massage, pedicure or body wrap…there are many items on the spa menu to renew yourself and forget how many candles are on the cake this year!
10. End the Evening with a Bang
Want to make sure you end the evening on a high note? Book a dining package that offers you a special meal as well as a reserved area for one of the nighttime spectaculars. You can receive special FastPasses that give you a specified standing area for World of Color or Fantasmic! by pre-booking online or calling Guest Services at (714) 781-4565.
Celebrating at Disneyland for any occasion is special but there is just something about spending your birthday watching fireworks over Sleeping Beauty Castle that just makes your whole year!
Looking for more ways to celebrate your birthday at Disneyland?
Check out my post about splurges at Disneyland for kids.
Have you ever celebrated a birthday at a Disney Park? Comment below, I’d love to hear what you did that day to make your special day complete.
Save Money at DISNEY!
Purchase discount Disneyland tickets and vacation packages from my affiliate Get Away Today.
Use the Promo Code REWRITTEN and receive an extra $10 off any 2-night or longer Southern California package. (Hotel and 2 ticket minimum purchase to qualify for the discount).
check out the other great posts from the Blogorail!