Seems that after each of our Disney vacations we come home with small mementos of our trip that I just don’t know what to do with! I love to save things like celebration buttons, paper Disneyland tickets, MagicBands from Disney World and maps. My kids enjoy going through these things and remembering our tips. I don’t want to toss them out but I just didn’t have a dedicated place to keep them. Enter this quick and inexpensive DIY Disney memento box that kids can help you create!
Please note that I use affiliate links in this post. Clicking through and making a purchase helps me in a small financial way, thank you!
DIY Disney Memento Box
This DIY will show you how to take an ordinary cardboard box and turn it into a personalized Disney-style storage box that’s perfect for safekeeping all your small Disney vacation treasures! I personally have Disneyland tickets from when I was a little girl and wanted to make sure that my kids have their own Disney treasures kept safe as well.
Totally easy and you just need a few craft supplies that you probably already have on hand! Read on for the how-to!
- Cardboard box with a lid. I used one with a hinged lid.
- Scrapbook paper or wrapping paper
- Glue or glue stick
- Ribbons, Washi tape, scrapbooking die-cuts, stickers, etc.
- Clear packing tape
Making Your DIY Disney Memento Box
- If your box is being recycled, remove all stickers or excess tape from the box until the surfaces are smooth.
2. Lay each side of the box on the wrong side of the paper and outline the shape.
3. Cut the paper on the line. Add a light amount of glue to the wrong side and place the paper to the box, smoothing out any bumps or creases.
4. Decorate the top of your box with photographs, strips of ribbon or decorative Washi tape and stickers until you have a design you’re happy with. When decorating the lid, it’s okay to wrap things like ribbon and tape around the edges to the inside of the lid. I had a smooth black washi tape and a white Sharpie so I could personalize my box.
5. Carefully apply clear packing tape in strips across the top of your box, going horizontally. I made my tape about a half inch longer on each side so I could wrap around the edges. Try not to overlap the pieces of tape too much, butting them against each other for a smooth finish. Work carefully because once you stick the tape you won’t be able to remove it. I had 3-D stickers so I applied them after this last step.
Looking for More Disney-Themed Crafts?
Filling Up Your DIY Disney Souvenir Box
Hot-diggety-dog! You have a perfect Disney-inspired box for storing all your magical mementos. Your box is now a great place to store Disney mementos like maps, tickets and souvenir buttons.
check out the other great posts from the Blogorail!
Here is the map of our Magical Blogorail Red | Back to School | Disney Inspired Ideas Loop:
- Adventures in Familyhood | Put Some Character in Your Back to School Lunches
- The Delightful Life | 50+ Disney-Themed Printable Lunch Notes
- Mom Rewritten| *YOU ARE HERE!* Disney Memento Box DIY
- The Disney Chef | While The Kids Are Away The Adults Will Play