Welcome to the next stop on Magical Blogorail Peach. Today we are discussing aquariums that your family needs to visit.
For my kids, the best part about visiting aquariums is getting hands-on with the creatures. The touch pools at Sea World San Diego are a place for interaction and learning.
Explorer’s Reef – This is a new exhibit, right up at the front entrance. Explorer’s Reef features four touch-pools including bamboo sharks, horseshoe crabs and cleaner fish that tickle your fingers.
This area has plenty of shade and my kids spent lots of time here touching the fish (we had to encourage them to wash up so we could move further into the park!)
California Tide Pool – Hold a sea star or a spiky sea urchin under the water. Kids are fascinated to feel the sea star curve its arms to fit in the palm of their hand. This has been a favorite area for us at Sea World San Diego for many years. Handlers will remind guests not to lift the creatures out of the water but you can hold them just under the surface.
Bat Rays – “Pet” the bat rays as they slide across the water but watch out for errant fins, you could really get soaked! All of these rays have had their stingers removed so they are completely safe to touch.
One thing you’ll notice about all my Sea World San Diego touch pool images is that my son always has his hands in the water. He’s definitely my adventure seeker! I’m not fond of putting my hand in the cold water or touching the fish myself but I can still learn without touching.
- Ask the handlers any question and they are always more than generous with their responses.
- There is also always a good amount of info posted around the park about each creature that lives there.
- Brush up online before your visit so you’ll know what to expect about each creature.
Here is the map of our Blogorail Peach | Family Adventure : Aquariums
- 1st Stop – Ashley Aspires | Clearwater Marine Aquarium
- 2nd Stop – Heidi’s Head | SeaWorld Orlando
- 3rd Stop – The Delightful Life | Chicago’s Shedd Aquarium
- 4th Stop – Saving Up for Disney | SeaWorld San Diego
- 5th Stop – Home is Where the Mouse Is | New England Aquarium