This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SplendaHoliday #CollectiveBias
It’s baking season at our house! When visiting friends, attending holiday parties or participating in cookie swaps, I like to bring something that’s full of flavor but with an ingredient twist and I really love taking full fat and sugar recipes and tweaking them. Using SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend is a way to cut out some of the sugar but still retain lots of taste in my Everything Good Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. The addition of whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and ground flax seed add a nutty flavor and nobody ever knows that I’ve strayed from the standard recipe, they just want more!
I was able to pick up the SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend at my local Walmart, along with a few other necessary ingredients like eggs and vanilla.
I’ve been making these cookies for my family for years and have been tweaking the ingredients in different ways to our liking. Out went about half the butter, replaced with coconut oil. I’ve used whole wheat flour in addition to all-purpose flour. I add a bit of ground flax seed for extra fiber. We usually use raisins because that’s what we most often have in the pantry, but have also used dried cranberries with much success. Chopped walnuts add a wonderful texture. Chocolate chips, yes! But with all the other yummy ingredients, you won’t need a lot of chocolate in the dough. Can you see why I call these Everything Good?
BAKING TIPS – When subbing SPLENDA® Sugar Blend into your own recipes, keep in mind that you’ll use half the amount of SPLENDA® Sugar Blend as you would sugar. A half cup of SPLENDA® Sugar Blend has the sweetness of one full cup of sugar, so a little goes a longer way.
I also found that when using SPLENDA® Sugar Blend in my cookie recipe, there is less spreading. This is easily remedied by flattening the dough slightly with my fingertips before placing into the oven.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed powder
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup walnuts, broken up with fingers
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and sugars until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla, Beat well.
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and ground flax seed. Mix well.
- Add oats and combine.
- With mixer running, add raisins, chocolate and walnuts and mix just until combined.
- Drop by tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheet. Dough may be crumbly and require shaping and flattening with fingers.
- Bake 8-10 minutes. Cool one minute on the pan then transfer to a wire rack for cooling.
- Baked goods made with SPLENDA® should be stored in an air-tight container and will retain freshness up to 24 hours. Freeze extra cookies.
Stop by Walmart and pick up your bag of SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend this baking season! It’s a great way to participate in the SWEET SWAPS™ Initiative and remove some of the sugar from your holiday treats. Enter the J&J Holiday Baking with SPLENDA® giveaway and win Walmart gift cards!